Head of Department (Sports): Mrs B Brown
The academy has extensive sporting facilities; these include:
- A weights fitness suite (Year 9s and above).
- A cardio-vascular and functional weights fitness suite (all years).
- A 6 badminton-court sports hall (including cricket nets).
- 2 cricket pitches with a pavilion.
- A Multi Use Games Area (MUGA) that contains 4 netball courts.
- A full sized all-weather pitch.
We base our curriculum and enrichment programme around 3 core aims: Experience, Enjoy, Excel.
Years 7-9 Core PE
- Minimum of 16 different sports delivered in 3 years.
- Assessed via a combination of practical ability and the TDA core values of Trust, Discipline and Aspiration.
- Interleaving ideas between sports (crossover of tactics and technique points).
Year 10-11 Core PE
- As a class students get to opt for a different activity each term.
- Focus of skills shifts to leadership and teamwork. Where students are expected to lead and umpire parts of lessons.
- All students experience competition within lessons and termly inter-house competitions.
- Through this, students develop resilience; winning and losing with honour.
- All competitions require teamwork, collaboration and leadership.
- After school opportunities are available at the end of every academy day.
- These are free and open to all.
- Throughout the year there are over 20 different activities available. With a focus on both participation and competition pathways.
- We aim to create a culture where students feel confident to attempt anything and feel that they can make mistakes.
- Where students support and help each other each other.
- Changing sport/activity every term keeps motivation high.
- With lots of different sports on offer both in curriculum and enrichment students will hopefully find a sport they enjoy and feel confident in, that they will choose to take further or return to later in life.
- Link of activity to physical and mental wellbeing identified and encouraged within the curriculum.
- Students encouraged to participate in after school sport or go to the gym to help with mental and physical wellbeing.
- Students find activities which they enjoy and continue with or return to later on in life.
- Students understand their physical and mental wellbeing will be improved by participating in physical activity and continue to do so long after leaving school.
- Offer GCSE and BTEC at KS4 to suit all learners needs.
- For those unable to pick a PE examination subject as one of their options we also offer BTEC Sport as a core PE option for suitable candidates (minimum numbers required).
- BTEC Extended Certificate and A Level offered at KS5.
- Norwich City Football Education Programme with Extended Diploma in Sport available at KS5.
- KS4 and KS5 students deliver to KS3 and JTDA.
- KS4 Rugby Players gain Rugby Leaders Qualification.
- BTEC students undertake Leadership unit.
- Captains for school teams and house teams.
- Perform against other schools in 10 different sports. With over 100 fixtures taking place each year.
- Mixture of state and private opposition, with home and away fixtures. Allowing students to experience a variety of environments.
- A variety of teams have had success at district, county and regional level.
Gifted & Talented
- Strong school-club links with local teams.
- Thomas Deacon Academy is the base for the Norwich FC RDP in Peterborough.
- We have a number of students that have gone on to perform at county, regional and national level in a variety of sports as a direct pathway from their school sport.
For details of uniform requirements click here.
Health & Safety
All jewellery should be removed and long hair tied back prior to participating in PE/Sport
Football – It is highly recommended that students wear shin pads whilst participating in this activity.
Rugby – It is highly recommended that students wear gum shields whilst participating in this activity.
Hockey – It is highly recommended that students wear gum shields and shin pads whilst participating in this activity.
Gum shields can be purchased from the Academy shop.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact Becky Brown (Head of Department). Telephone 01733 426060 or email email@example.com.